Monday, August 17, 2009

Creativity...when you don't have a lot of money

I love making things...mainly making things for my home. One, because I want pretty decorations (pottery barn type) but OBVIOUSLY can't afford them (who can really!), and two, I feel like I can do it just as good if not better than the pictures on the Internet. I have wanted to make these moss covered cone topiaries for above my fireplace for a while now but haven't gotten around to it. So, I decided to start with a simple wreath instead to see if I will actually like the moss topiary look to begin with. I saw a beautiful moss wreath on the internet compliments of the Martha Stewart website and LOVED IT. I went back to this picture time and time again to just gaze on the beauty. Pathetic I know. Here is the picture...

I looked all over for a moss wreath that I could buy but nothing compared to this one and they were all a little pricey. Go figure! So...I decided to make one myself! And I'm so glad that I did! I bought a styrofoam wreath from Michaels (you know, the hard styrofoam kind and it definitely needed to be green). This cost be about $3.50, mainly because I had a 40% off coupon. Then I bought the moss from Hobby Lobby. I bought the kind that is preserved real moss in a bag--I went for the limish green colored. $4.99 a bag. I had to use three bags (exactly--no more, no less). I had a hot glue gun so didn't need to buy this (a low temp works the best) and went to work!
After feeling like I had just been attacked by a enormous spider web from the hot glue strings, moss tidbits everywhere, and three hours of work, I had my finished product.
My camera didn't really do it justice...the moss is much greener than it looks in this picture. But here is my masterpiece...
To say I love it is an understatement. :) And I think I may venture in making two smaller wreaths sometime soon to put on the other windows during Christmas time. So...now onto my topiary cones. I'll post a picture of those when I'm done.
What we've been up to lately you ask? Besides making moss wreaths...
Well, Steven has been busy with work. He is enjoying ER much more lately. Not that he didn't enjoy it before because obviously that's what he has decided to do with his life. But, it has become a lot less stressful for him, being a newbie and all. I really can't imagine having all that pressure put on me! Saving someones life is kinda a big deal...
Isaac is doing well. Growing, growing, growing. He is FINALLY sleeping through the night. Sleeps from 8-6. I feed him at 6 then put him back in bed for an hour or two before I get up. He is taking two pretty good naps during the day that range from 1.5-3 hours...depending how tired he really is. Funny I say that, because I put him down for his morning nap about thirty minutes ago and can still hear him talking to himself in his crib. Oh that boy...
He had his first "melt down" in public last night. For the past month we have been putting him in the Sunday morning nursery and he has been nothing but a little angel. Honestly, every time I go to get him the workers tell me what a sweetheart he is.
Well...we started lifegroup up again last night. For those of you who don't know what lifegroup is, its pretty much our sunday school class that meets on Sunday nights in homes close to our church. Members can take their children to the nursery and then drive to their home destination for life group.
Let's just say that evenings are not the best time for Isaac. Around 6-8 you will find my child fussy and irritable. I know that this isn't much different than other children. It's just that time of day. I dropped him off only to find the room filled with little ones. Every jumparoo and swing were taken with babies, some crying, some staring off into space with a blank expression. As I placed Isaac in the nursery workers arms I could tell he looked a little timid. I left quickly. I was able to stay at life group for 45 minutes or so...then the phone rings. The nursery workers called the house where we were at and I was informed that I had to go pick up my child. As I rounded the nursery corner I could hear that distinct cry that I know all too well. I walked into the little room only to see Isaac sitting in a nice man's lap surrounded by other children...and mine, yes mine, was the only one crying at the top of his lungs. As I walked in the door I said something and his head shot around to look at me and suddenly stopping the crying. His eyes were all red and puffy and as I went to pick him up he immediately stopped crying and did those quiet huffs of breath that one does after hard hard crying. you know the kind...they give you hiccups and you have to continually catch your breath. I felt so bad! Mainly, for the nursery workers...I knew my child would be just fine. I didn't want to be THAT mom who everyone dreads seeing when their child turns the corner in the nursery. :)
Well, needless to say I had to tell myself that this is a six month old child...that this happens all the time...and that eventually Isaac will get over it and come to grips with evening night nursery runs. I'm not crazy for thinking this right???
As we walked outside and I locked him into his car seat (he usually fusses by the way when I have to put him in and tighten it)...but this time, he was nothing but grins and BIG smiles. He slept all the way home... oh the drama.
Well, it's time for me to get some cleaning done. I'm going to tackle the bathrooms and do some laundry. I hate cleaning bathrooms.
Here are some cute pictures of Isaac and his best buddy Campbell Compton. I couldn't get them to both look at the camera. They were intently watching Dora the Explorer.





Who knew this adorable little face could cry for hours....:)
















16 comments:

Family Snodgrass said...

I LOVE your wreath! May have to copy it!

Rachel @ Moments With My Miracles said...

LOVE the wreath!! I want to go out and try one RIGHT NOW!!! Thanks for the inspiration. And, we had our first Sunday night nursery experience last night too (our church does similar thing for our community groups). Abigail cried the whole 2 hours! So, you are not alone!

Sarah Beth said...

Kimmie I am very impressed!! I actually saw this wreath last Christmas in Pottery Barn and fell in love, called Laura discussed and she said for me to make my own exactly how you just described mine turned out Horrible and I ended up dumping it all in the trash so flustered..I think I mainly bought the wrong moss or something! It was so sad. We have built in bookshelves and I wanted to hang in during the holidays...anyways I love your everyday one on the windows..love it! Maybe I should just pay you to make me one. :)

TBG said...

LOOOVE your wreath!!! great job!

Bethany Vaughn said...

Ok, Kimmie your wreath looks soooo much better than the inspiration wreath. I am NOT exaggerating. Great job.

And your are not alone with the nursery thing. When I was the children's director we had that happen ALL the time with kids about that age. He will grow out of it, don't get discouraged!

Ashley said...

LOVE the wreath!!! funny because I have a pic pulled out of a mag like that too and have been wanting to make something similar! By the way, I love those windows above your couch..where did you get them? I am so boring now with our condo and never buy anything because I keep thinking we are moving but life keeps getting in the way!ha!
let's hang out soon..seriously!!!!

stella crosby said...

that last picture of Isaac is Kimmie Crosby. I can't wait to show you the picture that reminds me of Isaac's look. Can't wait to see our boy! and you of course and steven and Major, etc etc etc
By the way- Katie Crosby was exactly the same way. Now look at her- overseas.

Kelly said...

I think that maybe Isaac would just prefer to be at Aunt KK and Uncle Ryan's house on Sunday nights instead of the church nursery...just a thought! :)

LOVE the wreath! I'm going to start calling you Martha.

Maggie Pelton said...

LOVE your wreath. I want to make one, too. I love how you hung it on your window. Such a cute idea.

Night nursery would never work for us either. Thankfully, our church pays for us to get a babysitter while we have small group. That's a tough one, though. You hate to see everyone suffer, but you definitely need community!

The Slagleys said...

You did a great job on the wreath- I need to try to find cheap projects to make some changes around here! I am glad Isaac is sleeping through the night- makes a world of difference, doesn't it? I think the last picture looks a lot like you!

Jessica said...

I LOVE IT!!! I agree that it is much better than the original. I'm impressed but not suprised...Mrs. Creativity. Can I have one for my bday?? :-)
Love the pictures of my 2 favorite kids... miss you - Jess

Eleanor said...

Hey Kimmie!!
I love your wreath...especially over the white couch! Green and white are two of my favorite colors!! Isaac is looking so big and SO cute these days!! I hope that you are doing well! Maybe I will see you at the store sometime soon! Eleanor

Whitney said...

Cute wreath! From all of the comments it looks like you've inspired several people to make their own. Perhaps you shouldn't have mentioned how inexpensive they are and you could be making a killing!! Although, I guess with a six month old you probably don't have an abundance of time to make 30 wreaths. :)

Jason and Laura Brantley said...

i like your wreath better than marthas!!

nick, robyn and taylor said...

Hey Kimmie, it's Ben and Katie's friend, Robyn and I'm a blog stalker :)
I LOVE the wreath and I think it's even better than Martha Stewart's...seriously. I have an old window leaning on my fireplace mantle and I think I might just have to make one of these! Thanks for the inspiration!
I'll check back to see your topiaries.

Leslie Harwell said...

Kimmie, wow, what talent! I love the moss wreath! It looks great.